Construction on the Browning Amphitheater Restoration will begin this Spring. The Browning Amphitheater is located in the heart of The Ohio State University campus, adjacent to Mirror Lake and the South Oval. The amphitheater was originally completed in 1926 to provide a venue for outdoor drama performances, particularly the works of Shakespeare. Over the years the venerable amphitheater has also been used for musical performances, speakers/lectures, and as a study space for students.
The stone seating, steps, walls, walkways, and the electrical system have fallen into disrepair over the years. Rogers Krajnak Architects is collaborating with a design team led by the planning and landscape architecture firm EDGE to complete the required repair and restoration work. The historic integrity of the amphitheater will be protected and maintained as part of the restoration effort.